Information for those who have been accepted at a meditation
course at the Southeast Vipassana Center:
- Important Registration Notice
- Code of Discipline
- Arrival & Departure Information
- Items to Bring to Your Course
- Directions to the Course
Important Registration Notice
As accommodations are limited, we often have waiting lists for our courses. It is your responsibility to confirm your registration via the instructions in your acceptance email.
If you are unable to attend, please inform us as soon as possible so that another person on the waiting list may attend.
PLEASE NOTE: PLEASE RECONFIRM DURING THE TIME PERIOD INDICATED IN YOUR ACCEPTANCE EMAIL. IF YOU DO NOT RECONFIRM, YOUR SPACE WILL BE GIVEN TO SOMEONE ON THE WAITING LIST.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Code of Discipline
If you have not already done so, please read the Introduction to the Technique and Code of Discipline
Arrival & Departure Information
All students are asked to arrive between 2:00 and 5:00 p.m. on the day the course begins. After registration is completed, a light meal and orientation will precede the start of the course. The course will end at approximately 7:30 a.m. on the last day, which is the 11th day, of the course. All new students, as well as returning students taking a full course, are required to remain until the very end of the course. Part-time old students will not be permitted to leave on Metta day, the tenth full day, except in case of emergency or by prior arrangement with the assistant teacher(s).
Items to Bring to Your Course
- Your own warm blankets or sleeping bag (A light fleece blanket will be provided.)
- Top and bottom sheet for a twin-size bed
- Pillowcase (One sleeping pillow will be provided.)
Only minimal hand-washing facilities are available, so please bring enough comfortable, loose fitting clothing for the duration of your stay. All students should observe the rules for modest dress as outlined in the Code of Discipline. Shorts, tank tops, transparent, tight or revealing clothing, etc. are not permitted. Tights or leggings should be worn only under a knee length top or skirt/dress.
- Bath towel, hand towels, wash cloths, etc.
- Bath soap, shampoo
- Toothpaste, toothbrush
- Unscented deodorant
- Shaving/sanitary supplies
- For the comfort of the other students please do not bring any perfumes or scented creams, powders, shaving lotions, etc.
We supply a large base cushion and a smaller sitting cushion for every student. Please bring any additional cushions that you may need or prefer. Students may also wish to bring a shawl or blanket to use in the meditation hall that is separate from their sleeping blankets.
- Footwear: easy slip-ons, e.g. clogs or flip flops for outside wear, house-slippers for inside wear. You will not need to wear any footwear in the meditation hall.
- A shawl or light blanket other than your sleeping blanket for use in the meditation hall
- Unscented mosquito repellent
- Liquid laundry soap
- Umbrella and/or raincoat and hat
- Small battery operated alarm clock
- Flashlight with extra batteries
Suggested Seasonal Items
Seasonal outdoor wear: jacket, warm hat, warm socks, raincoat, boots
PLEASE DO NOT BRING
- Books, diaries, journals and other reading/writing materials
- Cell phones and other personal electronic devices may not be used as alarm clocks during the course. They must be deposited with the management upon registration, and they will be returned on the last day when the course is over.
- Electronic equipment, laptops, etc.
- Musical instruments
- Tobacco in any form
- Perfumes or strongly scented toiletries
- Religious or spiritual objects
- Jewelry or other unnecessary valuables
Note: If you arrive with any of these items you will be asked to leave them with the management until the end of the course.
Southeast Vipassana Center – Dhamma Patāpa
476 Rogers Break
Jesup, GA 31546